I wanted to take a moment to help promote a new Skype for Business user’s group, and this one is open to everyone regardless of location.
Skype for Business MVPs Dustin Hannifin, Randy Wintle, and Adam Jacobs are starting up a brand new online only users group at SkypeVUG.org. The kickoff meeting is on August 3rd at 9:00am Pacific (Microsoft) time and Microsoft’s own Jamie Stark will be presenting. The event will be held via a Skype Broadcast Meeting, is scheduled to run about two hours, and you can easily register by going to the above link.
I reached out to the team to get a few more details:
- Q) How often will the users group meet?
- Dustin) As of right now we are planning once per quarter but of attendance is high we may try once per month.
- Q) Who all is responsible for the running the group?
- Dustin) Adam, Randy, and myself are getting things off the ground but I’m a user group purest in that I believe a user group is run by its members. We will be asking for and needing additional help once we get things off the ground.
- Q) Will there be vendor participation similar to in-person user’s groups?
- Dustin) Vendors are always welcome. Our meetings have minimal cost. We’re still working through when we might want paying sponsors. The goal is to keep the focus on education and not sales pitches, but we also know that vendors are critical to the community and will always be welcome at our meetings.
Additionally, the site has an forum area where you can suggest and comment on topics you’d like to see discussed.
Finally, if you’re in an area that is served by an in-person user’s group and you’re wondering which to attend, I would suggest both! In-person groups are invaluable for the social aspect and interaction as well as the ability to ask direct questions. At the same time, the SkypeVUG group content is not aligned with any local group, offering distinct information and a fresh perspective.
If you haven’t stopped reading to join already, please go register at the link below.